I was having a look through our archives and our most recent recipe was back in February. Crazy! How can we call ourselves food bloggers?!
Anyway, Josh has been busy in the kitchen trying new recipes and now that we both have the time to write them down we wanted to share them with you.
Every Sunday at work we make lunch and dinner for 60 people, so we’re always thinking about new meals to try. Chilli Cheese Hotdogs popped into Josh’s head and we gave it a go. They went down well so here’s how we did it…
You can change the type of sausages you use. We went for Frankfurters but it can work with any kind of sausage. You could easily make this vegetarian by swapping the sausage for a veggie one, and using grated mushroom instead of mince – like we did here.
Ingredients | Serves 6 | Takes 1 hour
- 6 Sausages
- 6 Hot dog buns
- 200g Red Leicester cheese, grated
- 250g Beef mince
- 1 red pepper
- 1 red onion
- 1 tin kidney beans, drained
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 bottle of BBQ sauce
- 1 veg stock cube
- salt & pepper
Chilli Cheese Hot Dogs | Method
- Start on the chilli by chopping the pepper and onion finely.
- Heat oil in a large pot over a medium heat and add the pepper and onion.
- Fry off until the pepper has softened and the onion is translucent.
- Then add the beef mince and brown for a few minutes.
- Add the kidney beans, salt, pepper, cumin and paprika. Mix well and cook for a few minutes.
- Mix in the chopped tomatoes, soy sauce and the stock cube, mix well and make sure the stock has dissolved.
- Simmer the chilli for 10-15 minutes until the water has evaporated.
- Add BBQ sauce to taste and keep on a low heat.
- Cook your sausages according to pack instructions.
- Assemble your chilli hot dogs and add the cheese on top!
It’s really as easy as that and it’s a proper crowd-pleaser. Have you ever made Chilli Cheese Hot Dogs? Let us know your favourite recipe in the comments!