Recently I’ve had the craving to go fruit picking. Don’t ask me why, it just really reminds me of my childhood, it’s fun and best of all – it’s free!
On Josh’s birthday weekend we went up to Burgess Hill and took his family dog for a walk with his parents and went on the hunt for some blackberries. It was the end of the season so we didn’t expect to get many but we came away with a fairly large tupperware full! Josh’s mum also gave us some apples from her tree and so the next evening we decided to make this!
Apple & Blackberry Crumble
Ingredients | Serves 4 | Takes 1 hour
For the filling:
- 2 1/2 large apples
- 150g blackberries
- a few drops of vanilla extract
- 75g caster sugar
For the crumble:
- 85g plain flour
- 80g unsalted butter
- 70g caster sugar
- 20g oats
- pint of salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 180c.
- Core and peel the apples and then chop them up into small pieces.
- Add the chopped apple, blackberries and 75g of caster sugar to a saucepan on a low heat.
- Mix well and allow to cook for 5 minutes until the juices have run out and the sugar has dissolved.
- Add the vanilla extract and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile make crumble by mixing the plain flour, sugar and butter in a bowl and rub together the mixture with fingers until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add the oats, salt and cinnamon and mix well.
- Add the fruit mixture to an ovenproof dish and cover with the crumble mixture.
- Cook for 40 minutes and serve with ice cream or single cream!