A quick and easy meal to make on a week night, with ingredients you’re probably gonna have laying around in your cupboard.
Sweet & Spicy Pork | Serves 2 | Takes 20-25 minutes
- 2 pork steaks
- 1 onion
- 2 carrots
- handful of chestnut mushrooms, chopped
- 1 tsp chopped garlic
- 1 tsp chopped ginger
- handful of frozen peas
- rice for two (i just kinda blag it with rice so god only knows the measurements)
- 1/4 cup honey (we used this one)
- 1 tbsp sriracha
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tbsp rice vinegar
- salt & pepper
- olive oil
- Cut your pork steaks into thin strips (think stir fry style) and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat some olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat, add the pork and sear on all sides for a few minutes. Then remove the pork from the pan and set aside for later, you don’t want the pork to overcook when you add it to the sauce.
- Add boiling water to your rice and cook according to package instructions.
- Finely chop your onion and carrots, we blitz ours in the food processor, and add to your ex-pork pan on medium heat. You’ll need to add a little bit more oil at this point.
- Once softened, after around 5 minutes, add the mushrooms, garlic and ginger. Mix thoroughly and continue to cook, ensure you mix every now and again to avoid sticking to the pan and burning.
- Make your marinade by mixing the honey, sriracha, soy sauce and vinegar.
- Add the pork to the pan with onions and carrots and pour in the marinade. Ensure everything is coated, bring to the boil and then simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add peas to the rice 5 minutes before the end of your cooking time.
- Once the sauce has reduced and become sticky it’s ready.
- Serve with rice!