You know by now that we’re not exactly what you’d call a “healthy eating” blog. We give you homey, carby and cheesy recipes because it’s just what we love.
However, on the never ending quest to lose some weight and get fit I decided to try the new fad of making “rice” out of veg and it actually works! So I wanted to share my recipe with you (Josh would want me to make it clear he had no involvement in this, he hates cauliflower).
Cauliflower Fried Rice | Serves 2 | Takes 20 minutes
- 1 cauliflower head
- 1 red onion, diced
- 3 tbsp sweetcorn
- 3 rashers of bacon (optional)
- 2 peeled and chopped carrots
- as many peas as your heart desires
- 1 tsp crushed garlic
- 1 tsp chopped ginger
- 1 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 handful crushed cashews
- olive oil
- Chop the cauliflower up, discarding the hard stalk in the middle and throw in the food processor. Blitz until it looks like breadcrumbs and leave to one side.
- In a pan, heat some olive oil over a medium heat and add the onion and carrot. Cook for around 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Slice your bacon up and add to the pan along with the garlic and ginger. Mix well.
- After around 5 minutes add the cashews, peas and sweetcorn. Mix well and cook for a further 2-3 minutes.
- Add the cauliflower and stir through the mixture. Make sure it’s thoroughly mixed and add a little oil if needs be, cook for a further 2-3 minutes.
- Finally, add the soy sauce and stir to coat the mixture.
Super easy way to get a ton of vegetables into your diet and trust me, it tastes just like fried rice. You could also crack an egg into the pan at the end and mix well to make egg fried “rice” which I was planning on doing but didn’t realise we were out of eggs!