Don’t ask me why we waited so long to make our own pesto. We’ve had pine nuts in the cupboard for god knows how long, we have a basil plant, we just never thought to do it until last weekend. Trust me when I tell you (like so many people told me) it makes a huge difference to the taste! Just do it. It’s super easy.
Pasta bake with home made pesto | Serves 2 (large portions) | 30 minutes
- 1 cup fresh basil
- 1 cup spinach
- 2tsp chopped garlic
- handful of pine nuts
- squirt of lemon juice
- 2tbsp olive oil
- salt & pepper
- 50g parmesan
- 200g pasta
- 1/2 tin sweetcorn
- 1 red onion
- 1 pepper
- handful cherry tomatoes
- 200ml vegetable stock
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees and boil the kettle.
- Cook pasta in salted boiling water for around 10 minutes and meanwhile make your pesto.
- Put the basil, spinach, pine nuts, lemon juice, olive oil and 1tsp of garlic on a food processor and blitz.
- Season the pesto with salt and pepper, mix with 40g of parmesan and set aside.
- Chop the onion and pepper and fry in some olive oil, slice the tomatoes in half and add to the pan. Cook for 5 minutes until softened and add the remaining garlic.
- Add the stock and reduce for 1-2 minutes.
- Add sweetcorn and drained pasta to the vegetables and mix well.
- Transfer to a baking tray and top with mozzarella and the remaining parmesan.
- Bake for 15 minutes and serve!