We hate food waste but because we only ever cooking for the two of us (with the exception of when Bell comes over to watch First Dates and drink too much wine/vodka/whatever we have in) there’s usually a fair few ingredients left over when we cook.
On our way back from watching Star Wars: The Force Awakens (OMG ISN’T IT SO GOOD!?!?!) we realized we hadn’t planned anything for dinner and decided to just try and whip something up with all the ingredients we had left in the fridge and it ended up being pretty tasty! As I’m writing this I’m starting to realize that this might just be something people do all the time…
Stuffed Chicken w/ Leek & Mushroom Sauce
What you’ll need (serves 2)
- 2 chicken breasts
- 4 rashers smoky bacon (or any kinda bacon you have)
- Enough feta to stuff a chicken breast (or mozzarella)
- Sun dried tomatoes
- Red Leicester cheese slices (we had these leftover from burgers we made last week and needed to use them up but you can use any kinda cheese you like).
- 1 leek
- Button mushrooms (however many you like, could also use close cup or portabello mushrooms).
- A splash of white wine
- A knob of butter
- Salt & Pepper
- Olive oil
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees. Also boil a kettle if you’re going to do mash potatoes like we did.
- Slice open the chicken lengthwise but not all the way, just deep enough to get a good stuffing in there (hehe).
- Stuff with the feta and the sun dried tomatoes and season the breast with salt and pepper.
- Cover each breast with the red Leicester cheese and then wrap with bacon. Place in a baking tray that’s been oiled and put in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Slice and chop the leek and mushrooms, add to a pan of melted butter and cook until soft for 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- After the 5 minutes are up add a splash of white wine and reduce and then add 5 tablespoons of double cream and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Once the chicken is done, serve! We had ours with mashed potato to use up what we had left.
You can basically use whatever you have left over to add to the recipe!